Sunday, August 12, 2012

Day 12 - Magical People Who Made a Difference

"At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each one of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us."
 Albert Schweitzer (1875-1965),
Nobel Place Prize - Winning
Medical Missionary and Philosopher

Rhonda says, "Every one of us has received help, support, or guidance from other people at particular times in our life when we needed it most. Sometimes another person alters the course of our life through their encouragement, guidance, or just being there at the right time. An then life goes on and we tend to forget those times when one person touched us or changed our life. Sometimes you don't even realize the impact a person had until well into the future, when you look back on your life and realize that a particular person was pivotal in magically changing the direction of your life for the better." Page 137, The Magic.


The Assignment

Today's assignment is to find a quiet place alone and choose three people who made a difference in my life then list the reasons why.

Gratitude Stone



I am most grateful to Faith for finding the perfect "gratitude stone" for me because the other one was too big and I didn't get a good vibe from it.   Thank you, thank you, thank you.

It is smaller and I can twirl it with my fingers which actually makes me concentrate on gratitude. And it is somehow relaxing.


Gratitude Journal

I Am Grateful: (Day 12)

  1.  To Gary for his support because it takes the stress of me to hurry up and return to work. I can stay home, relax and let the stress slide off my shoulders. Okay he doesn't say it like that but I know that's what he means. He does say I deserve it.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  2. For having time for just the two of us because Sidney and I enjoyed our quality time together.   Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  3. To Christina for going out with me and Faith because I treasure the time we spend together.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  4. For another energy filled day because I was able to do so many things on my to do list and that gives me an amazing sense of accomplishment.   Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  5. To my Mom for stopping by to take Faith, Sidney and I out for supper because I really needed to get out of the house and didn't want to do it without another adult.   Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  6. For my cosy comfy bed because it feels wonderful to lay back in it and slip off into a restful sleep.   Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  7. To my Mom for taking us out second hand shopping because I love it when I find great deals. We "shopped 'til we dropped." My Granddaughters think that's funny  and it makes them giggle which feels my heart with joy.   Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  8. For the money in my pocket because I was able to pick up a few things at the store which brought smiles to the faces of Jackie, Destiny and Emily. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  9. Another day of life.   Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  10. For my health because without it life would be difficult and just no fun at all.   Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Magical People

For some time now, I have believed that people come into my life for a reason. It could be for a moment or a life time. 

I used to feel so sad when people vanished out of my life but I have come to terms with it now. I wonder if that is an age thing? Either way, I like it because I can now appreciate and feel good about the time we had together instead of reflecting with a melancholy heart.

When I read today's practice, my Mom immediately popped into my head. Of course she has and is still the most influential person in my life and I am so very grateful to her every single day. If I chose my Mom for today's practice, I call it a challenge, it would have been way to easy. 

Next in line would by the father of Nicole and Beth. We had two beautiful children together. I am grateful to him for so many things but again this would not be a challenge.

Listed third but not necessarily listed by importance, is Gary. We have been together for twenty years and have one wonderful daughter together who you know as Christina. Not a challenge.

I have one honourable mention here. He was my first love. My high school sweat heart. I was so utterly, deeply, madly in love with him for five years.

I better stop here because the practice wasn't to list influential people, it was to choose three and make a list for each person of reasons I am grateful to them.

So here I go.
 

Number One

I excelled easily at art all the way through, right up through high school. I won awards. Had my art chosen to be hung in galleries. My classmates would stop and stare as I worked on my latest masterpiece. It was embarrassing so I would just goof around in class and do my work at home.

After high school I spent a year in limbo. I was already living with my boyfriend at the age of eighteen. We had very little money and I couldn't seem to get a job.

Then one day, I ran into a girl from high school. We had lots of fun in art class. Giggling. Silly teenage girls. She was my art class friend. She had disappeared in high school and I didn' know where she went. Turns out she got pregnant and quit school. She told me that she was a graphic artist and making okay money.

Practically the next day I made an appointment at the employment office to speak to a counsellor. I ended up enrolling in the same forty week commercial art program at Mohawk College in Brantford that my art class friend went to. The program was all paid for and I was given a living allowance while I attended school. How perfect was that?

I enjoyed it so much. I graduated in the top four of my class.

About a month after graduating a classmate called me. Marty had been working for a company called the Stencil House. He was putting in his notice and immediately thought of me. I went to the interview and sucked at it. I was still bitterly shy but my portfolio convinced the owners to hire me.

I was so excited that I had landed my first real job ever and it just so happened to be doing something I loved to do. I was designing stencils, magazine ads and brochures. Within a year the company expanded and had to move into a larger space. I saw all my designs being sold across Canada and the United States. I couldn't help thinking that my designs had something to do with the company's success so I asked for a raise. Needless to say, I didn't get it so I quit right on the spot.

About a week later I ran into my ex-boyfriends friend. He told be that his sister had just put in her notice and that I should go apply.

I sent in my resume and was called immediately for an interview. I lugged my heavy black portfolio with me which now contained some of the work I did at the Stencil House.

And so I landed my second job. I failed miserably at the interview but my portfolio was the deciding factor in me getting the job. I was Advertising Coordinator for Goodwill Industries in Hamilton. I loved that job too. I could be creative and get paid to do it.

I am so entirely grateful to my art class friend. We ran into one another and spoke for just a few minutes but she changed the course of my life with long reaching affects.

Thank you Donna, I am grateful to you because you showed me a door of opportunity I would have other wise missed. Thank, thank you, thank you.

Thank you Donna, I am grateful to you because the information you shared with me led to my first and second jobs which enriched my life in so many ways. Thank, thank you, thank you.

Thank you Donna, I am grateful to you for the encouragement you offered on that summer day to follow my dream and become an artist because I may not have proceeded without it. Thank, thank you, thank you.

Thank you Donna, I am grateful to you for lifting my spirits and giving me direction for my life when I was lost and wondering aimlessly. Thank, thank you, thank you.

Thank you Donna, I am grateful to you for boosting my self esteem because I lacked confidence in my ability and was afraid of trying anything new. Thank, thank you, thank you.

Number Two

I'm not sure if this is allowed but I am going to do it anyway. 

Thank you girls, I am so entirely grateful to you, my three daughters because you have given my life purpose. Before you came into my life it had no meaning. Thank, thank you, thank you.

Thank you girls, I am grateful because you made me want to be a better person. I wanted to be a positive influence and teach you how to be strong, confident, independent women. Thank, thank you, thank you.

Thank you girls, I am grateful to you because you brought happiness and joy into my life.  Thank, thank you, thank you.

Thank you girls, I am grateful to you because you gave me the strength to carry on when I thought I was beaten.

Thank you girls, I am grateful to you because you loved me when I felt unlovable. I felt it each time you put your little arms around me, pressed you lips against my cheek, held my hand, smiled at me . . . Thank, thank you, thank you.

Thank you girls, I am grateful for your friendship because you are my best friends and I cherish each moment we have together. Thank, thank you, thank you.

Thank you girls, I am grateful to you for giving me grandchildren because they bring more joy and happiness in my life each and every day. Thank, thank you, thank you.

Number Three

I enrolled into a program at Conestoga College for Accounting.

I worked through a temp service while going to school. I had many different types of office jobs and was able to make a bit a money and figure out which positions I enjoyed and which ones were just torture.

It was through a temp agency that I met Maria, the controller of a small business in town. She saw something in me that no one else did. She was impressed with my ability to catch on quickly and get the work completed in record time. Once a position opened up, she offered it to me.

Thank you Maria, I am so entirely grateful to you because you gave me back my confidence. It comes in handy when searching for a job. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Thank you Maria, I am grateful to you for all your assistance with my school courses. You were able to take the theory from class and put it into real life situations. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Thank you Maria, I am grateful to you because you were able to help me see myself as others perceived me. I believed myself to be a frumpy, slow minded, shy, awkward, useless blob. You told me that others see me as a strong, intelligent, confident, assertive yet compassionate woman. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Thank you Maria, I am grateful to you because I looked up to you as someone I wanted to be like. You were a wonderful role model. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Thank you Maria, I am grateful to you because I thought of you as my mentor. You guided me, helped me and encouraged me. You took me under your wing and nurtured my career quest. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Another day has whizzed by me. I am so pooped. Being grateful can be exhausting. 

Which three people would you choose? Feel free to leave your answer in the comment section.

Tomorrow is Day 13: Make All Your Wishes Come True
Blogging tips