Friday, February 1, 2013

You are Successful!

Happiness

I was sitting here brain storming, in search of something to write about.The first word to come to mind was happiness which lead to gratitude. Gratitude equal happiness. 

But what else makes me happy? My family, my home, my job, my friends. Manifesting my dreams. Success. 

What does success mean to me - or you?

What is my answer? Success means happiness to me. The opposite is true too. In simple terms, failure makes me sad.


Society's Standards for Success

But how do I recognize when I am successful? 

I know some people pass judgment on themselves because they do not measure up to the society's standards. 

Let's look at the average teenager who compares themselves to their peers. Being successful in high school may mean you have great grades, have a part-time job, get involved in extra curriculum activities, dress in popular brand name clothes. or hang with the cool kids. And let's face it, if we aren't one of the cool kids we are losers.

What about after high school? Does success mean college or university? Maybe it's that fantastic job, big house and nice shiny car? 


Maybe you measure your success by the  accomplishments of your children? Or keeping up with your neighbors.

Society may judge us by these standards but I hope we don't. As I get older it has become easier to stop comparing myself society's standards but I don't think it is determined by the number of years on this planet so much as it has to do with self esteem and gratitude for ones self.

Defining Success

If we aren't suppose to compare ourselves to society's standards, how do we gauge our success? Maybe we need to review the definition of success.

1. Success may refer to: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Success)
  • a level of social status
  • achievement of a goal
  • the opposite of failure

2. Success. [suhk-ses]  (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/success)
  • the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors; the accomplishment of one's goals. 
  • the attainment of wealth, position, honors, or the like. 
  • a performance or achievement that is marked by success, as by the attainment of honors: The play was an instant success. 
  • a person or thing that has had success, as measured by attainment of goals, wealth, etc.: She was a great success on the talk show.

Success Is . . .

To me, I am successful when . . . I happily complete a goal that I have created. This could be buying a house, a car, nice furniture. But it isn't because my neighbors have it.

I am successful when I finish crocheting a blanket, or paint the hallway. I am successful because I set a goal for myself, I worked to complete that goal and I did it. 

(All this talk about the word success. It sounds weird now, doesn't it? Success. Yep it is a weird word.)

Defining Success for Yourself

Is it how we judge ourselves as human beings that determines our success? Do the successes through out our lives give us value? What does success mean to you?

I can't answer any of those questions for you. All I know is you need to figure out what success means to you, for you. And we shouldn't compare ourselves to others when determining our success.


Why Success?

I wanted to write about success today because it has a lot to do with your self worth and in the end, your happiness. 

Let's face it, if we become very sad and depressed when we feel unsuccessful. And that has to do with the means that you determine how successful you are.

We can't compare ourselves to any one else. We don't do it with our kids. We don't do it with our family. And we don't do it with our friends. So why are we so hard on ourselves?

We have to set our goals then celebrate when we reach them. Yes! Let's CELEBRATE! YOU ARE SUCCESSFUL!

If you like this post, please share the love with your friends and family on Facebook and Twitter. 
Blogging tips