Friday, January 4, 2013

Attitude of Gratitude . . .

and How it Relates to Happiness

Are You HappyFor some people happiness is just an unattainable dream because they have never known true sustainable happiness. 

For me, that first sentence provokes images of starving, poverty stricken children because it would have to be something as severe as this to cause life long depression. Right?

Wrong. There are countless reasons for unhappiness and depression in this world. It may be biological. It may be a series of life's bumps in the road of life or a catastrophe that shakes your world.

When it comes to those bumps or tragic events, not everyone reacts the same. Some people may be able to bounce right back while others suffer for years. What could be the difference between these two types of people?

The answer lies within you. Happiness is a choice.


Happiness is a choice
Before you jump all over that, let me explain.

Stop and think about it. No one can control your feelings except you. Once you take ownership, you need to take control of your emotions. 


I know, easier said than done right. The truth is, making a change can be difficult and it takes commitment  It has been a struggle for me but I can now say that I have found happiness. I am still working on it; improving it ; but at least I am on the right path now.


So what makes me happy? What brought sustained happiness? The kind of happiness that has no reason but just glows from within?


Yes, getting a good night's sleep helps. So does eating properly, regular exercise and setting goals. But for me, those fall in line once happiness is achieved.


And you know it isn't that nice new shiny car that brought it or my beautiful home. Not the raise at work, not the weight loss. Surely those things do bring happiness but it is short lived. 


So what is the secret of attaining sustained happiness - inner peace? 


The answer my friends is gratitude. 


Attitude of Gratitude

When I wake up, I say to myself, "Today is a great day to be alive. Thank you, thank you, thank you." Throughout the day I take a moment to relax, and just be grateful. I keep a gratitude journal. Before I fall asleep at night, I review my gratitude list from the previous day and decide which one I am most grateful for.

Are you wondering how being grateful makes me happy? It works like this;  when I feel grateful I can't feel sad, angry, resentment, jealousy. When I am grateful all I can feel is happy.


And you can too.





Are you ready to invite happiness into your life? Are you ready to have an attitude for gratitude?

You can start right now. I hope you can learn from my experience. The road to inner peace and happiness.






Blogging tips