Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Day 7 - The Magical Way Out of Negativity

"A thankful person is thankful under all circumstances."
  Bahá'u'lláh  (1817-1892), 
Persian Founder of the    Bahá'í  Faith



Rhonda says, " It's impossible to be negative when you're grateful. It's impossible to feel sad or have any negative feeling when you're grateful. And the best news is that if you have any negative situations in your life currently, it won't take a long period of time to transform them with gratitude. The negative situations will disappear in a puff of smoke - just like magic."

Practice Gratitude

Today's assignment is choose one problem or negative situation in my life and that I want to resolve and list ten things I am grateful about the negative situation.

It was easy to the choose a negative situation. 
I have been working for the same company for almost six years now. 

Normally, I could honestly say that I love my job. I enjoy the research, creating policies and programs and working with the employees.

There is some negativity. 
I would love to solve this work related problem. 


Gratitude Journal

I am grateful for:
  1. Having a job because I know there are many people who don't.
  2. The decent wage it provides because I know many people who have to work for minimum wage.
  3. For my coworkers because they make work fun.
  4. My office  because it is tucked away and provides privacy. 
  5. The relatively  close  location of my job because it doesn't take too much of my day travelling.
  6. The route to work because it is not bogged down with traffic.
  7. The freedom to take breaks whenever I need to.
  8. The flexibility in my work schedule.
  9. The variety it offers because I get bored easy.
  10. The assistance I do receive from coworkers when I ask for it.
 Thank you, thank you, thank you for the perfect resolution.

Gratitude Stone

My first thought was my new laptop. Getting something new always makes me feel good. But after a little more thought, I decided that I appreciated the abundance of energy I have because accomplishments give me a great sense of pride and  the day isn't wasted. Thank you, thank you, thank you.  

I still have the same gratitude rock. Tomorrow is another day.




Gratitude Stone Story

My husband made me laugh today. 

I had put my rock into my purse. I see it every time I look in there for something and it reminds me all day long to be grateful.

This afternoon, Gary was looking in my purse for some change. He had both hands in there shuffling through all the junk I like to carry around with me. 

He pulled out something and said, "What the f___ is this?" 

I looked up and saw my gratitude rock in his hand. He was about to toss it into the garden when I said
, "wait."

Gary said, "Why do you have a rock in your purse?"

My son-in-law chuckled to himself. Gary laughed at me. I tried to explain but they weren't listening, just laughing about this silly chick carrying around a rock in her purse. It is kinda funny - carrying around this ordinary looking rock in my purse.

I guess you'd have to had been there. I thought it was funny.

Gratitude Journal

I Am Grateful: (Day 7)

  1. For the food I ate today because it nourished my body and taste good.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  
  2. That I am healthy and my loved ones are healthy because it provides quality of life.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  
  3. That my Mom was here today to watch Faith so Gary and I could get out of the house child free.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  
  4. For our flat screen television because it is so much nicer watching movies on it with my family.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  
  5. For Cole and Nick for taking Faith with them to the Drive-In to see the newest Ice Age movie.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  
  6. That my granddaughters played nicely today and didn't make too much of a mess for me to clean up.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  
  7. The Internet because I was able to play some games to relax and blog today.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.   
  8. To my Mom for purchasing Alphabets because she is thoughtful and it is my favourite breakfast and snack item right now.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  
  9. The free time I have this evening to do whatever I want to while Faith is out because it I need it to keep sane and keep the grumpiness away.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  
  10. The space I have here in the basement with my computer because it is comforting.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  

Banish Negative Thoughts

The biggest challenge of today was to get through it without saying anything negative.

It was going good up til the time I used the bank card to pay for my purchases at Walmart. The transaction would not go through. It was not declined. The money is there. I got the pin right but it wouldn't work.

How frustrating. I felt so embarrassed walking away without my items. I was disappointed because I looked forward to eating the food I picked out. I felt ripped off because I wasted all that time walking around, selecting the items and waiting in line forever. I was annoyed because I was sweating to death while standing in the checkout line. I was perturbed that Michael refused to go to the bank to take out cash and go back to the store. I was pissed off with the traffic and the fact that it took three times as long to get home.

I tried, "but I have to say that I am really grateful for . . ." It did not work. Best I could do was just shut it down - just stop the thinking and look around for a distraction. Better luck next time.

I am still finding it difficult to come up with ten things to be grateful for each day. I feel grateful throughout the day but when it comes to typing it out my mind goes blank.

Another day has come and gone. 

I posted on my Facebook, "I challenge you to banish all negative thoughts and words for just one day. If something negative pops into your mind or out of your mouth, say "but I am grateful for . . . " Update me tomorrow on how your day went. Good luck.





I put this same challenge to you. Can you do it? Can you banish all negative thoughts?

I'd love to hear how you do.




Tomorrow is Day 8: The Magic Ingredient





If you enjoyed reading this blog, share it with your friends! I rely on you to spread the word about my blog so I can reach more people with gratitude and happiness.


Blogging tips