Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Seven Paths to Freedom by Curtis Rivers

Curtis Rivers
Curtis Rivers wrote a book with this title which will be out sometime next year. He also has a free seven day course with the same title. I thought this course may just be the ticket to help me on my journey to inner peace and happiness.

I am blogging about this because I want to share it with you in the hope to inspire those who also want to make some positive changes in their lives - who want to enjoy living life with passion, having the courage to transform dreams into reality. Even if you don't follow me, you can check out the site, Seven Paths to Freedom.

So why aren't I where I want to be? Let me think this one through. 

Hey. I am pretty much where I wanted to be at this point in my life. I have a lovely home, a job I love, a nice car, wonderful friends, a loving family to share my life with . . . What else could I want? 

I want to up my "standard of living" so I can spend more time with my family, time to pursue other interests and finacially help friends and family. 

I want financial freedom. Everyone's dream, right? Not exactly. As a teenager I wanted to live in a house that I owned, have children and a job doing something I enjoyed.

I got what I wanted. Didn't I? Of course I did. But I got a little older and a little wiser I hope. 

Now I want something else too. And that's okay. People change and their needs/wants change right along with them. 

I want financial freedom. So what is stopping me?

There are so many barriers to my destination and I know it can be a difficult journey. We all have preconceived perceptions and fears to overcome. 

For instance, I was raised to believe that money doesn't bring you happiness. But I beg to differ. We need money to survive in this world and to maintain happiness we need at least enough money to pay our bills, put food on the table, get us from point a to point b and provide some of the niceties in life. Without the money for all these items, we are filled with stress, unhappiness, depression, low self esteem. You get the the picture.

Perhaps my Mom taught this to me because money was tight when she was growing up. And after my father died money was tight for us. She learned how to get by and make the most of it. Her mother lavished her with love and attention and my Mom did the same to us.

Tobacco Sucker Between
Stalk and Large Plant
I also grew up thinking you have to work hard for your money. Not  a completely true statement is it? I know there are many people in the world that do have to work extremely hard for their money. 
Tobacco Flower


As a matter of fact, I remember working very hard, as a child, along side my mom and younger sister. My little brother was somewhere playing by our feet. We suckered tobacco and broke off the flower tops.



The predominant thought back then was yuck and gross. We wore kerchiefs to cover our hair and over sized clothes to protect us from the sticky, tarry build up you get from the leaves rubbing against you. Our hands were black from the tar. I call it tar but I'm not sure what it really is. It is almost black in colour and it covered us from head to toe. 



Tobacco Caterpillar



Yes the tar was gross but accidently squishing a tobacco caterpillar instead of grabbing a sucker is really gross. I can't even say it without distorting my face in disgust. Just the thought makes me want to jump up and do the "oh my gosh that is so disgusting" dance.

My mom says we also picked strawberries and tomatoes but I don't remember that. 








I do remember picking apples.  My sister and I picked what we could reach on the trees while standing on the ground and we put them into a small basket which was dumped into a large wooden bin. I think Mom got twenty dollars a bin back then.


We also picked the "grounders" which were the apples that fell from the tree and sat in the long grass basking in the sunshine. I can almost smell the strong aroma of fermenting apples. 


Grounders

It didn't take too long before my sister and I were begging for gloves. So many of the apples were rotten, even moldy. Poking your fingers through an over ripe apple was not a favorite pastime. And actually we had to fight with the long grass to give up the apples because it would be entwined all around the fruit.



On the funny side, you never knew when gravity would pluck an apple from the tree and toss it to the ground. Bombs away!

Tobacco. Apples. Hard work. Very little money.
www.findingdulcinea.com

Now on the other hand, once I became an adult I learned there are people in this world who love their jobs, who do not think of their jobs as work and some actually make a nice living. I often wonder who those people are, where they are and what they are doing? :)

Another perception is that people who have "money" are stingy, self absorbed, maybe "stuck up." 

The rich get richer. That's because they rip people off, take advantage of the poor and weak. So you don't want to have loads of cash because you will become one of "them." Ebenezer Scrooge is not the kind of role model you aspire to become when you grow up.
My debit card for my bottomless bank account.

Fears. Most of us fear failure. We are afraid of what people will think about us. Having to start all over again. Afraid of the dark. Afraid of crowds....

I want to be a money magnet. Money comes easily and frequently! I want to fulfill my dreams and desires. I want to be happy. I want to break free from this small confined space I have boxed myself in. I want to enjoy everything that life has to offer!



I am ready to make a change! Are you?








Blogging tips